"Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible -- the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family."

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lazy Summer Nights on Screened-In Porches

I have to declare that this has definitely become one of my favorite things about this summer. Not only has it been great hanging out with all of our family and friends since we’ve moved back, but there’s just something about sitting on a porch in the county that no where else can beat. It has become quite comical, although absolutely true, when every time we’re over at Stephen’s house, we end up staring at the sunset on his porch and proclaiming, “wow, that’s so pretty!”

I said all that to say that Johnathan and I are absolutely having a screened-in porch on our house.

While I’m on the subject of favorite things in the summer, I have to mention one of Johnathan’s favorite things. It’s another night at Stephen’s house, and we’re all outside. The girls are sitting on the screened-in porch while the boys are grilling out, or just finishing a game of corn hole. The house backs up to a giant field, which is growing a harvest of soy beans at the moment. Apparently, deer LOVE soy beans, and Johnathan spots them. All of a sudden, there are around 3 to 5 deer casually grazing on soy beans at the edge of the woods, no more than 100 yards from the house. While the rest of us looked at the deer in awe, and quickly went back to our conversations, Johnathan walked over to a small pine tree at the edge of the lawn stroking the needles, and seemed completely mesmerized by the deer. We all laughed when we noticed he was still staring at the deer.
We have truly enjoyed being back home with our family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment