"Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible -- the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family."

Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Little Bit Vintage

One of my favorite decorating styles is vintage. I love handmade patchwork quilts, rustic wood pieces, dim lighting, rustic iron accessories, and of course, heirlooms. (I’m not talking about the red neck country style, but a timeless style full of rich colors, old traditions, and a tasteful hint of our southern heritage.) Although I’d love to shower my entire house with a classic vintage style, most of our furniture now is anything but vintage. Our furniture is a blend of a few very different styles, from dark mahogany wood and blue couches in the living room, to hand-me-down bedroom furniture from the embarrassing 80’s era.
So, I’ve decided to challenge myself to find some really great vintage pieces for our house, starting with a china hutch. Johnathan’s mom gave us a beautiful oak dining room table when we moved home, and we desperately need a china hutch to display and store our wedding china, which, by the way, is still in the boxes they came in, and have been kept in about four storage bins at my parent’s house since the wedding. Incidentally, that is NOT because we don’t love the china, we merely haven’t had a place to keep them, and haven’t hosted an occasion to use them. I found a couple great red hutches that I absolutely love (picture and link below). These two are a little pricey, but I’m just starting to look. I'm hoping to find more affordable pieces around town or online, but if not, I might have to splurge on one of these! If any of you know of some neat vintage shops around town, that may have a red china hutch, please let me know!

Also, the new pottery barn fall line has a superb vintage feel, which, Johnathan has already claimed to be dangerous while I’m in furniture and home accessory shopping mode. What he doesn’t understand is that I can’t bring myself to buy from places like Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware full price. I’ll wait till the clearance items go on clearance.


2 comments:

  1. I love this style too. You need to check out the Cameron Antique Fair -- they have some great stuff in this vein, and reasonably priced, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you need to go to karen's attic on US1. i've gotten some amazing things there for like $15...including a chest i have painted and added bronze accessories to that is now our coffee table :)

    ReplyDelete