This morning at the ENT doctor, what I thought would be a happy conclusion to my unfortunate never-ending sinus problems, ended up ruining my day. I hoped he would tell me that my last CT scan showed that my sinuses had unblocked some, and at worst, I would have to start allergy shots to prevent any more blockage. To my dismay, not only are my sinuses still blocked up, but they have actually gotten worse! I couldn’t believe it, but actually, I was only kidding myself. I really did not feel any better, except for the fact that my headaches weren’t as bad, but I should have assumed the news would not be good.
So the solution, as you might have guessed, is surgery. I could have cried when discussing this matter with my doc, and nearly did when explaining that I would have to undergo sinus surgery yet again, to my boss. As I have mentioned, I was completely against going through surgery again, but after lengthy discussions with my doctor, mother, sister, and Johnathan, I think surgery will bring the best result.
I could not bear to quickly agree on the spot to the surgery when my doctor asked me what I wanted to do, so I left him by stating that I would think about it and call him later. Another important factor to consider was when the best time to have the surgery would be for me. To make a long story short, it has been scheduled for December 18th, and a week of recovery means that my Christmas will not be enjoyable.
I’ve said all of this, not because I want a pity party, but because I’ve learned that sometimes you have to go against your own better judgment, and realize that your doctor knows more than you, he probably does have your best interest at heart, and living with the pain, instead of finding a solution could mean serious, and permanent problems later in life. For me, if I do not have the surgery, I could face meningitis, or possibly going blind. I think surgery, as many times as I may need it for my recurring symptoms, is far better than the alternative.
So the solution, as you might have guessed, is surgery. I could have cried when discussing this matter with my doc, and nearly did when explaining that I would have to undergo sinus surgery yet again, to my boss. As I have mentioned, I was completely against going through surgery again, but after lengthy discussions with my doctor, mother, sister, and Johnathan, I think surgery will bring the best result.
I could not bear to quickly agree on the spot to the surgery when my doctor asked me what I wanted to do, so I left him by stating that I would think about it and call him later. Another important factor to consider was when the best time to have the surgery would be for me. To make a long story short, it has been scheduled for December 18th, and a week of recovery means that my Christmas will not be enjoyable.
I’ve said all of this, not because I want a pity party, but because I’ve learned that sometimes you have to go against your own better judgment, and realize that your doctor knows more than you, he probably does have your best interest at heart, and living with the pain, instead of finding a solution could mean serious, and permanent problems later in life. For me, if I do not have the surgery, I could face meningitis, or possibly going blind. I think surgery, as many times as I may need it for my recurring symptoms, is far better than the alternative.
I'm so sorry, Brooke! That's really disappointing. Is there at least a chance this surgery will fix the problem for good?
ReplyDeleteI will definitely be thinking of you come December! Hopefully your recovery will just be a blip, and you won't ever have such massive problems again. That will make it worth it!
ReplyDeletesorry honey :( love you! the surgeries now are much better than your first one...
ReplyDeleteYeah, at least my nose won't have to be packed... I think that was the worst part!
ReplyDeleteJenn, there's no guarantee that surgery will work this time, but I am hopeful! The problem is that my allergies cause the sinuses to get blocked up, so I have to get to the root of the problem after surgery so that hopefully it won't happen again.