"Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible -- the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family."

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weimaraners and Wineries

Johnathan and I will soon have a new addition to our family, no, we aren’t having a baby, we are getting a weimaraner puppy! This weekend we visited the breeder for the first time, and had the opportunity to hold the new, two week old silver weimaraner puppies, one of which will be ours. It was, unmistakably, love at first sight. The puppies were so small, and couldn’t even walk – they just grunted and slept. There was no way we could have chosen a puppy right then, especially without seeing a little bit of their personalities, so we decided to come back when they were a little older to pick ours out. They will not be ready to go home until they are 7 weeks old, so we are going back on October 10th to pick our puppy. Then we can take him home October 17th! We had such a great time, and instantly fell in love with all of them. It was really sweet to see how protective the mother was over her puppies, and never let the puppies we were holding out of her sight. Patty, the breeder, was amazing, and we could tell she put her heart into this business and the dogs.

So, why a weimaraner? We both agreed that weimaraners were our favorite breed of dog, and we both grew up with weim mixes, so we were familiar with their temperament and needs. I had a weimaraner-black lab mix, and Johnathan had a weimaraner-great dane mix. We also wanted a large, short-haired dog that was athletic, and just overall could join us in all our outdoor activities. Weimaraners have webbed feet and love to swim, so we will really enjoy letting him swim around at my parent’s lake house. I also want to teach our dog to run with us, and weimaraners have been known to run marathons with their owners.

Having a weimaraner is quite an investment, so I am determined to properly train our dog. I bought “Weimaraners, A Complete Pet Owner’s Manual,” and have read it twice now, highlighting to Johnathan with each read the most important things to remember. I know having a puppy, and a new member of our family will be a tough adjustment at first, but we will adapt, and before we know it we won’t remember what life was like without him!

Today we spent a wonderful Sunday driving around to a few North Carolina wineries with Johnathan’s mom and her husband, John. I am so impressed by the number of vineyards that spread across the state. Johnathan’s mom and I decided that we would make it our goal to visit all five of the wineries participating in the NC wine experience, located in the mid-western part of the state. We stopped at two of these wineries today, the RagApple Lassie in Booneville, and Allison Oaks in Yadkinville. We also went to a winery not on the list, but definitely worth the stop. The Hanover Park winery was staged at the beautiful old farm house in the middle of the vineyard and acres of grapes. I think every wine lover should enjoy this truly unique experience, and get lost along old roads in North Carolina searching for some great wine. My new goal…visit every winery in the state!

This blog has become extremely too long, so I will conclude the writing for tonight, and let the pictures speak for themselves!
























































No comments:

Post a Comment