Today I spent 3 hours at Pinehurst Surgical Clinic and the Surgery Center. I am now officially overwhelmed and nervous about the procedure. From the time I am put to sleep to the time I go home will be about 4 hours. Then I will be recovering between 7 and 10 days... which means Christmas will not be nearly as exciting for me this year, although I knew that when I scheduled the surgery, and did so on purpose. I'm not usually one to take a ton of time off work, and wanted to schedule this surgery during the Christmas vacation, which would give me adequate time to recover.
In detail, here is what I am having done... for those of you who might be interested...
First, Endoscopic sinus surgery: is a procedure used to remove blockages in the sinuses (the spaces filled with air in some of the bones of the skull). These blockages cause sinusitis, a condition in which the sinuses swell and become clogged, causing pain and impaired breathing.
Second, Turbinectomy: Removal of a turbinate bone. The turbinate is a bone in the nose; it is an extension of the ethmoid bone, is situated along the side wall of the nose, and is covered by mucous membrane.
For example, submucous turbinectomy (removal of the turbinate bone without removing the overlying mucous membrane) had been found to reduce nasal discharge, sneezing and nasal stiffness in patients with perennial allergic rhinitis.
For example, submucous turbinectomy (removal of the turbinate bone without removing the overlying mucous membrane) had been found to reduce nasal discharge, sneezing and nasal stiffness in patients with perennial allergic rhinitis.
Third, Septoplasty: is a corrective surgical procedure done to straighten the nasal septum, the partition between the two nasal cavities. Ideally, the septum should run down the center of the nose. When it deviates into one of the cavities, it narrows that cavity and impedes airflow. Often the inferior turbinate on the opposite side enlarges, which is termed compensatory hypertrophy. Nasal obstructions caused by serious deviations frequently lead to chronic sinus problems.
Luckily I have a wonderful family who are willing to help out when I get home by tag teaming. Johnathan has to work Monday through Wednesday that week, so my mom and sister will be taking turns caring for me, and making sure Levi is taken care of too.
In the meantime, Johnathan has primed the guest bedroom, which looks SO much better than the yellow glossy paint that was on the walls before. He has also primed the kitchen and is starting to paint it tonight! I cannot wait to see the finished product, and hope my decision for a red kitchen was a smart one. Hopefully it will all be done before our Christmas/Housewarming "Stock the bar" party on Saturday!
No comments:
Post a Comment