Although Johnathan thought it was cruel and unusual punishment, we both new the time had come to have Levi neutered. He was also born with a hernia, so we had that repaired too. And well, while he was out I had the vet trim his nails. (Trimming nails while he's coherent is quite a task to say the least!)
I was sure he would disown us for depriving him of his full manhood, and was scared his personality would change for the worse. While everyone kept telling me that it would make him less aggressive, I honestly don't think there is an aggressive bone in his body! He is the sweetest, most lovable dog I have ever known. He is a HYPER dog, but that's the breed, and as I have said, we researched weimaraners long before we got him, and were well aware of his temperament. He is extremely intelligent, and is really starting to understand and obey our commands perfectly. Sometimes he looks at me when I'm talking to him and if I didn't know any better I would swear he understands every word I say. Ha!
While we are on the subject, here is what he has learned so far at 7 months old:
-No (essential)
-Treat!
-Sit
-Wait
-Stay (different from wait - he waits for his food... he stays when I don't want him to follow me)
-Down
-Gives kisses on command
-Come on
-Inside
-Outside
-Get in the car/truck (by the way, he's starting to love car rides... windows down, head out the window)
-He's learning: Shake and Take a Bow
-Oh, and the most crucial... when I say, "mommy's scared," he barks!
Ok, back to the surgery... we took him on Thursday morning, and just like if it was our own child, Johnathan and I both were worried about him. I dropped him off at 8am, and received a call before 10am from the vet letting me know everything went well. Relief! Because the surgery required some recovery time at the vet, I didn't pick him up until about 4:40pm. I met with the vet before they brought him out to me, and she gave me some pain medication for Levi. I assumed the medication would make him sluggish or sleepy, but after talking with the vet, she said he would be fine. The medication basically numbed the pain. She reminded me about the humiliating Elizabethan Collar that he would be required to wear, preventing him from licking or pulling out the staples and stitches. (In an effort to keep him with a little bit of dignity, I didn't take a picture of him in this awful thing... and we didn't keep him in it for long.) Then she brought him out and said "good luck." That's all she said to say... I knew exactly what she meant. Levi was not only totally oblivious and unaffected by the surgery, but he had been his normal, active self all afternoon at the vet. Normally, this would not be a problem, but he was restricted from running, jumping, swimming, or any other similar activity.
I don't get off until 5:30, and I was expecting a client, so he had to go back to work with me for a little while, although I doubt he minded. I think he was just relieved to be out of the vet's office. He laid under my desk, I gave him some water while I was meeting with the client, and then we headed home.
Probably because he was so traumatized by his ordeal, he did end up sleeping most of the evening. Johnathan and I both took off Friday to be with him, and to run some personal errands we can't do on the weekends. While we were out we did put the Elizabethan Collar on him, and he wears it at night, but while we are watching him around the house it is off.
This is where his hernia was repaired... it used to look like an outtie belly button.
The dreadful collar
No comments:
Post a Comment