"Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible -- the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family."

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Painting is his Middle Name

Johnathan's middle name that is. 

One Saturday morning I decided it was time to paint our master bathroom.  Johnathan was at work, of course, and I thought to myself, "wouldn't it be great if he came home and I had this whole bathroom finished."  HA! I was ambitious, but not practical about the project I had just gotten myself into.

 

First, I had to remove the wallpaper from around the garden tub.  It came off so easily, I probably could have done without the remover product, and thankfully very unlike the guest bedroom situation.


Next, I had to tackle a couple rough spots and putty a few nail holes.  Simple, but now I had to wait for the putty to dry. 

Finally, I could sand the rough spots, and the walls were ready for a little primer.  I was quite proud of myself up to this point, but I had a delima... where was the rolling pin?  I had the paint, the brush, but no rolling pin, and I did NOT want to drive all the way to Lowes just for a rolling pin, especially when I knew we had one.  I dug through the garage for about 20 minutes, until I finally realized it was right in front of me. (You are probably laughing because you've done the same thing, right!?!)

Primer is a fickle thing, and we hadn't used it since we primed the other bathroom months ago.  So of course that meant I needed to stir the paint for about 30 minutes.  I don't know how long I stirred, but I figured it was good enough once my arm was tired.  I thought it would be a good idea to start with the brush, and paint the borders of the room.  So along the ceiling, floor, and door/window frames was painted first.  Then the fun part... the roller.  By this time I'm almost certain I was high from paint fumes, so I went outside and played with Levi for a few minutes to get some fresh air.  I came back in and finished rolling.

I have to admit, I have never painted primer before, and wasn't sure how much of the old blue color was supposed to show through, or how streaky the paint was supposed to be... but it looked like a kindergartner had just went to town painting those walls.  I decided not to do any more damage and walked away, hoping my husband would at least appreciate my valiant effort.

Needless to say when he got home the first thing he said was that I'm fired from painting.  (fine with me)
Not only did he not approve of my painting skills, but he noticed a few bumpy areas on the walls that needed re-buffing.  Oh well!  I tried.  He was happy I had been so motivated, but decided he would finish the job (good idea).  I've decided that I really like to paint, but I'm not really good at it.





We decided to go with a neutral color on the wall, mainly for resale purposes, but also because I like to change the decor (shower curtain, towel colors, etc.) so we decided it would be best to keep the walls a nice cream color. 







The best part... no more wooden toilet seat! (yes, that's me in the picture, and yes, I'm naked. I did that in college.  I still need to hang it.)

After the walls were done he needed to paint the trim.  After the bathroom trim he decided to keep going, since we still had not finished painting the trim in our bedroom or the hallway.



Door painting party? Check out the difference in colors!!!

My simple one day project has turned into a week and a half, but it was well worth it!  Thank you wonderful husband of mine.  Your handy work around the house is priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment