"Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible -- the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family."

Monday, February 28, 2011

Rejuvenation

In a rare event, Johnathan and I were both off this past Friday.  We had a wonderful day, and a wonderful weekend for that matter.  The weather was great, and finally on a weekend, had no plans to do anything productive.  So after sleeping in until about 11am on Friday, we went to Panara Bread for lunch, and spent the rest of the afternoon at Nick's Creek with Levi.  We had never been before, and were excited about getting Levi back in the water (there is a reservoir at this park).  We walked down the greenway for about a mile and a half, turned around and came back, and let Levi run wild. (The sign says "keep dogs on a leash," but we were the only people there!)  Anyway, we wore him out throwing his favorite retriever training toy in the water at least 20 times!  By this time, the wind had really started to pick up, and more clouds were rolling in, so we switched toys and threw the tennis ball along the bank to let him get a good run in and dry off.

The water made Levi stink like dead fish... gross, I know!  So we gave him what we now refer to as "a summertime bath" outside, which consisted of lathering him up with doggie shampoo and hosing him off.  I think he took it well.

On Saturday, Johnathan's mom and husband came to visit, and brought us a wonderful gift... a dresser for our nursery!  We also had a nice lunch at Hickory Tavern before they headed back to Winston-Salem.  My sister and nephews stopped by in the afternoon to check out the new dresser, and of course the boys played ball with Levi in the back yard.

Sunday we opted to sleep in again, this time only until 10:30am.  We spent the morning at Lowe's getting household supplies and paint for the baby's room, and spent the afternoon doing some chores around the house.  I actually re-potted some plants, and after looking at the temperature, which read 81 degrees, I decided I needed to put on my bathing suit and soak in a little sun!  After about 45 minutes, Johnathan finished washing the cars and sat with me.  I can't explain how nice it is to just relax, without any deadlines or distractions.  I had a great visit later that afternoon with Lindsay, who was in town for the weekend, and taking a break from the medical school life in Georgia.  It was great to catch up, and I can't wait to see her again in April!

I can't say enough about how wonderful this weekend was... to relax, have great weather, and have absolutely nothing to do.  The windows stayed open, the back porch door stayed open, and I didn't realize how much I needed the fresh air.  It was great after a few long work weeks and a crazy cold winter.  It has also been nice enjoying this time in my pregnancy, being healthy, having more energy, and feeling Anna Rae's kicks become stronger and more frequent.

No comments:

Post a Comment